One pound unsalted butter (yeah, that's right. One pound. As in four whole sticks)
28 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra large eggs
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 cups chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Butter and flour a 12x18x1 inch baking sheet.
3. Melt together the butter, 1 lb. of the chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water.
4. Allow to cool slightly.
5. In a large bowl, stir but do not beat together the eggs, vanilla, and sugar.
6. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
7. In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour and the baking powder.
8. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
9. Toss the pecans and 12 oz of chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup flour, then add them to the chocolate batter.
10. Pour into the baking sheet.
11. Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and dough.
12. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
13. Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into squares.